Friday 30 July 2010

Facebook

I went straight to step 5 as Sarah suggested as I don't have a Facebook account and explored some of the Cambridge Libraries...

The English Faculty Library uses Facebook in a number of ways, including posting messages about what's going on in the Library - we use the announcement facility on CamTools to communicate with our students. The photo albums and the list of books look good too:

We have started to list new books on a CamTools site created for academic staff of the Faculty, with pictures of covers and live links to the Newton catalogue:

The Judge Library use HootSuite to manage postings on their Facebook page - I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds useful if you & your users are members of more than one social networking site. I had a look at the 2 videos on the Marshall Library's site about vacation borrowing - I'm not sure how we would cope at Education if we had a vacation loan for all 1500 students!

I read Libraries & Facebook and it was interesting to note that Librarians in 2008 (when the article was published) thought Facebook was mainly for social networking and not for professional use. I'm not sure if you would get the same response now!

The Education Library doesn't have a Facebook site because we extensively use CamTools to interact with our readers. However, Facebook presents the information in a much more appealing format. Caret are upgrading CamTools in September, so I'm hoping the interface will improve and the site on the whole will be a lot less clunky to use. I haven't ruled out Facebook as a way to promote Library services on another platform though, but I will explore further!

No comments:

Post a Comment