Tuesday 20 July 2010

Reflection

Thinking back

I'm a little late with my reflections but I thought the most coherent way to blog about them was to use Libby's helpful questions.

And so what?
I've just re-read my first thoughts on the Cam23 programme and the 3 opportunities I listed are certainly taking shape, if not already fully formed.

How have your skills/knowledge improved?
I am much more aware of Web 2.0 technologies and how some of them may have the potential to improve library services for our readers. I certainly feel a lot more confident in approaching a new thing (note small t!).

Have the 'Things' covered everything that you need to know, or think it relevant to know?
Yes, the Things so far have been varied enough to keep it interesting each week, and it's good to be reminded of how each task could be useful to libraries,

Have the activities suited your learning style?
I didn't know what my learning style was so I did the short VARK questionnaire as suggested by Libby and I am 'multimodel' which applies to about 60% of people. So I think the activities do suit my learning style in that I like to read a description of how to do something, but I also like something visual to look at too (e.g. screen shots or a short video).

Do you feel more competent and confident?
I'm certainly getting there! There are some Things that I would like to spend more time getting to grips with (e.g. Delicious) to see how useful they could be to the Education Library, but with the summer here and Michaelmas Term not far away, this may have to wait until next year after the new students have settled in.

How can you apply this learning?
There are a number of staff at Education taking part in Cam23, and as we are planning a whole staff meeting in September, this may be the ideal opportunity to discuss our thoughts on the Things and identify those that could be applied to improve the way we work as a team and the way we present information to readers.

What would you do differently - and what might change about how you approach the next 12 Things?
I wouldn't approach the programme any differently, but if I had the luxury of time, I would love to have spent longer on some of the Things. Still, I have had a taste now and know where to find them!

Is there one (or more) Thing that you would be happy to recommend to a colleague? Why?
iGoogle is definitely worth using as it's such an easy way to bring all your favourite pieces of information together (and a member of Library staff who isn't following the Cam23 programme now uses it every day!).

No comments:

Post a Comment